Friday 3 October 2014

Craft Along - Week 2

Hey Everyone
Yay it's Friday and today I have the first step of the Mystery Project Craft Along for you.
I was planning to have this posted a lot earlier but I've had bit of a computer problem this morning, our desk top (our main computer) won't turn on. I hope it's not too serious. Thank goodness for the laptop so I can still finish this post on time. I've had to rework it though as I was going to provide a printable version of today's instructions but they're on the other computer so I've had to add extra instructions here. Hopefully the desktop will be fixed over the weekend and I'll be able to add the link then. Anyway the most important thing is I'm still here and I already had most of this done, I think I would have had a minor meltdown if I had to start from scratch.
So have you got all your materials? Is your sewing machine ready to go?  If you're new here, and would like to join in, you can find the material list on the previous post.
This week you will need the
  2 x light squares
  8 x dark triangles
  2 x 3"med/dark squares
  fusible webbing
  embroidery thread
  sewing thread

Before I start:
I have tried to simplify things but I have assumed you have some basic knowledge of patchwork and applique. If you are having trouble understanding anything just send me an email and let me know.
All seams are ¼" unless otherwise stated and I recommend you read through the instructions before you start.

PRINTABLE INSTRUCTIONS

Mystery Project Craft Along - Week 2
Sew 2 triangles onto either side of the light coloured squares and iron.
Sew 2 more triangles onto the other sides of the square and iron.
You should now have 2 square in a square blocks (see above right) measuring 5"x 5".
Trace 2 hearts onto the paper side of the fusible webbing.
Roughly cut out the heart, leaving about ¼" all around.
NB: The heart is in the instructions but here is how I made it. Cut a 2½" square of paper & fold it in half. Draw one side of a heart shape starting and finishing on the fold. Cut along the line and unfold. Hey presto you have a heart to trace around.
Iron the hearts to the wrong side of each of the 3" squares with the paper side up.
Don't ask me why this picture downloaded upside down, it's just what happens sometimes.
Cut out the hearts and peel off the paper. 
HANDY HINT: If the paper is hard to peel off score across it with the tip of your scissors then gently pull the heart so the paper splits along the scored line. It is then easy to removel the paper.
Position the hearts on the square in the blocks and trim the hearts if you feel they need it. When you're happy with the way they look iron them in place.
Using the embroidery thread blanket stitch (also known as buttonhole stitch) around the heart. I used stranded embroidery thread and used 3 strands or you could also use a single strand No 8 pearl c
That's it for the first step. How are you liking it so far? I hope you're finding it fun and you will join me again next week.
Fingers crossed, hopefully next week the computer will be fixed and things will be back to normal, if not I'll be having a major meltdown.
Oh and I nearly forgot, the winner of the giveaway was Jackie, she was the only one to leave a comment so there's a kit for this project headed her way.
Looking forward to crafting some more with you next Friday
and hopefully I'll be able to slip in another post before then as well.
 

Thanks for popping by and until next time 
TOODLES


I would love your feedback.
You can either comment here or on Facebook 
or
You can follow me on
 
 
 
 





















No comments:

Post a Comment