Tuesday 17 June 2014

UNnoodle Soup

ME: You do realise that this is not just a food blog don't you?
YOU: Yes
ME: Good that's a relief.
YOU: Why do you ask?
ME: Cos I'm here again with another recipe.
YOU: So?
ME: Well that's two in a row and I don't want you to think that's all this blog is about.
YOU: For goodness sake just write the post.
ME: Okay.

Being a relatively new to this blogging caper, it's very much a learn as you go sort of thing. Before I started I had no idea how long it took to do a post. Taking photos, or remembering to take photos, when the light is good (particularly for cooking posts), setting up shots and editing, all take time. And for me the writing is also quite time consuming too as I'm not a natural writer (words don't flow in an orderly fashion from my brain), so I have to do a lot of editing sometimes over a couple of days. These are skills that I'm hoping to improve and streamline so I can do posts more efficiently, and I'm enjoying the challenge.
That sort of brings me to today's post because I've had to prepare it quicker than I normally would. I put a picture of this Asian style soup on my Facebook page, asking if anyone would like the recipe. I thought I would have a bit of time to prepare the post but no, what with on thing and another, some people thought I had already put it on the blog and were very eager to have the recipe. So here I am posting another recipe when I normally like to mix up the topics).
This recipe is based on a vague memory of a soup made on the TV show "Good Chef, Bad Chef" and is super easy. When I make it I don't measure anything. You know, like those recipes your Mother used to make that she could never give you exact quantities for. It was just a bit of this and a bit of that. Now I find I also make lots of things that way and have to smile to myself when my kids ask me for some recipes because I haven't a clue about quantities, it's just what feels right. Anyway I've done my best to write a proper recipe.
 
UNnoodle Chicken & Veg Soup
(Serves 4)
1 chicken breast fillet
5 cps water
1 Tbsp soy csauce
1 garlic clove (sliced)
2cm piece ginger
¼ teas chilli flakes (optional)
1 zucchini 
2 cps thinly sliced/chopped vegetables (eg carrot, capsicum, celery, corn, broccoli, etc)
Put the chicken fillet, garlic, ginger and chilli flakes in large saucepan and cover with water. Add the soy sauce and bring to a gentle simmer.Cook for approximately 20 minutes.
Take the chicken fillet out and slice into small pieces. Remove the garlic and ginger with a slotted spoon or through a sieve, chop finely. Add back to the stock along with the sliced vegetables and any of the chilli flakes that may have been removed in the straining process. Bring stock back to a gentle boil. Taste the stock and add more soy sauce if needed.
While the vegetables are cooking prepare the zucchini UNnoodles by peeling it first (discard the peel) and then shaving it into long strips with a peeler (or you can get a gadget (see picture) that looks like a peeler with teeth that cuts really thin strips). Only shave the zucchini down to the seeds.
When the vegetables are nearly cooked (this should only take 5 minutes, if you like them a little firm), add the chicken and UNnoodles and cook for about a minutes (don't over cook or the UNnoodles will break up). Serve.
OPTIONS:
Use rice noodles if you prefer.
Add 1 or 2 teaspoons each of lime juice, palm sugar & fish sauce for a more Thai style flavour.

PRINT RECIPE

I would love your feedback. You can either comment here or you can also comment or follow me on Facebook or Instagram @oneearlybird

Until next time when I will share something other than cooking.

TOODLES






  













2 comments:

  1. This sounds delish, we are not eating meat at the mo so would make this without chicken but LOVE the idea of courgette noodles!xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucy. I have thought I might try it with tofu for vegetarian version. I also have a delish Thai style tomato soup recipe but I haven't posted that one yet.

      Delete