Monday 15 September 2014

Apple Sultana Walnut Cake - Gluten Free

Hi Everyone,

I'm back with a quick post. You may recall I shared a recipe for Apple Sultana and Walnut cake back HERE.
I have a couple of relatives who are gluten intolerant so I had a fiddle with the recipe and made a healthier version that is gluten, dairy and sugar free and topped it with a vanilla cashew cream.
I posted the following picture on Facebook and had a few requests for the recipe.
So I decided I would share it here just in case anyone else might be interested.

APPLE SULTANA WALNUT CAKE–Gluten Free
1 cup chopped dates
Water (enough to just cover the dates)
½ cup mild tasting oil
3 eggs (lightly beaten)
1 teasp vanilla
2 cups almond meal
½ cup rice flour
½ teasp bicarb soda
1 teasp baking powder(gluten free)
2 teasp mixed spice
150g (5oz) sultanas
60g (2oz) chopped walnuts
2 apples (peeled & diced)
Cover dates with water and allow to soak overnight or until dates are very soft.
Set oven on 180C and grease (with oil) a 20cm cake tin, line the base and dust the sides with almond meal or rice flour.
Blend together the soaked dates, oil, eggs and vanilla until smooth.
In a large bowl combine all the dry ingredients, sultanas, apple and walnuts.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well.
Put mixture in prepared cake tin and bake for approximately 40-50minutes or until done when tested with a skewer. (It may take longer depending on the moisture in the fruit)
Allow to cool for 5-10minutes before removing from the tin.
 
Vanilla Cashew Cream
85g raw cashews
¼ cup chopped dates
½ cup water
1 teasp vanilla
20g cacao butter(melted in a bowl over hot water)
Soak the cashews and dates in the water with the vanilla overnight.
Blend together until smooth and creamy then add cacao butter and blend until thoroughly mixed.
Spread on the cooled cake and sprinkle with extra walnuts.

PRINT RECIPE

You will notice I have included a link to a printable version of the recipe. I am hoping over the next couple of weeks to update all my previous recipe posts to include printable recipes. That will make your life easier if you want to try any of them.

Thanks for popping by and until next time 
TOODLES
 
 
I would love your feedback.
You can either comment here or on Facebook 
or
You can follow me on
Facebook or Instagram @oneearlybird

2 comments:

  1. Ohhhhh YUM! That looks so incredibly delish. Sadly, I am a recipe collector and not a baker. I think I must collect them for the pictures and to torment myself. This cake looks amazing. I want to lick that cashew cream right off my screen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe you're funny Rachel. If I lived a bit closer I'd make you one.

      Delete