Monday 12 May 2014

Apple Sultana Walnut Cake

 
Hi everyone, yes I know you don't hear from me for over a month and now I'm back again already. That's what can happened once you don't have time lines you have to work to. I don't know about you but I find I'm happier, more motivated and productive if I can go with my own flow.
This time last year I had some allergy testing done and the result was I discovered I'm allergic to wheat (but not gluten) and soy and have a sensitivity to a couple of other things as well. I don't have any major reaction to these things, it just upsets my immune system. So occasionally I still eat REALLY GOOD cake, my home made hot cross buns or nice wholesome bread. I do have a sweet tooth though and I love to bake so I try and adapt recipes to be wheat or gluten free and fairly healthy. I have even invented a few of my own recipes along the way which I will share with you in the future.
 
This morning I discovered these less than appetising fellas at the bottom of the fruit bowl so I decided they needed to go into a cake.
 
An apple, sultana & walnut cake to be exact. It is a beautiful, moist & gutsy cake, my favourite kind. The original recipe came from a newspaper and I have adapted it to be wheat free. I also cut down on the sugar to make it healthier as it was very sweet anyway. 
APPLE SULTANA WALNUT CAKE
½ cup mild tasting oil (or melted butter)
½ cup brown sugar
2 eggs (lightly beaten) 
1 cup almond meal
1 cup rye flour
1 teasp bicarb soda
1 teasp cinnamon
1 teasp nutmeg
1 teasp mixed spice
150g (5oz) sultanas
60g (2oz) chopped walnuts
2 apples (peeled & diced)

Mixed together the oil, sugar and eggs in a jug or small bowl. Combine the rest of the ingredients except 30g of the walnuts (these will be used on top later) in a large bowl and add the wet ingredients. Mix well and add a little water if you need to. Spread the mixture in a greased 22cm (9") round cake tin with a piece of baking paper in the bottom and smooth the top. Sprinkle with the reserved walnuts and bake in a moderate oven for approximately 45mins or until a skewer comes out clean. Allow cake to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out. 

*If you want to make this gluten free just replace the rye flour with a gluten free alternative.
**If you don't have any allergies replace the almond meal & rye flour with1¾ cups of plain flour.
***If you're feeling a little naughty and you want to put icing on the cake this Brown Sugar Frosting goes very nicely with it.

Hope you enjoy making and eating this cake, it is delish. Until next time toodles. 






No comments:

Post a Comment