Saturday 29 March 2014

Crunchy Granola Not Too Sweet

Hi all, like my little play on words, think Neil Diamond. I'm a bit of a fan, maybe daggy to some but true. I think his song "Crunchy Granola Suite" pops into my head every time I make my delicious muesli. Why, because the recipe it is based on is called crunchy granola, from Delicious Quick Smart Cook. I discovered this recipe about 12 months ago and now it's the only muesli I eat. It is easy to make, has very little sugar and no added fat, so healthy, healthy, healthy and yummy, yummy, yum.

This was my situation this morning.
 
An empty muesli jar. Time to make some more and I thought I would share the recipe with you.
This is for a single batch but I usually make double so it lasts longer, particularly when I have my youngest daughter home, cos she loves it too.


CRUNCHY MUESLI
3 cups rolled oats (I use slow cooking)
1/2 cup raw almonds (chopped, or nut of choice, hazelnuts are yummy  )
1/2 cup flaked coconut (chopped, I wouldn't recommend desiccated, it might burn)
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
2 Tbsp sesame seeds
1/4 cup buckwheat (optional)
3 Tbsp honey
3 Tbsp maple syrup (I have also used golden syrup, agave or rice syrup)

Mix together all the dry ingredients in a large bowl and warm the honey and maple syrup in a saucepan (or in a microwave).
Pour honey mixture over the dry ingredients and mix really well. It might not seem like enough but it will give everything a light coating. Spread the mixture out on a tray and place in a moderate oven.

 
Check every 5 minutes and mix around on the tray. This helps it to cook evenly and prevents it from burning around the edges. Cook for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool before putting in an air tight jar or container.
This is a very forgiving recipe, you might like to change the quantities and ingredients a bit or you can add dried fruit when it has cooled. If you're gluten intolerant then substitute a gluten free option for the oats.
 
I love to sprinkle it on fruit and yoghurt for breakfast. I have also sprinkled it on porridge & on top of muffins before baking. It would make yummy topping for apple or fruit crumble or add some crunch to a smoothy, he he, I suppose that would make it a roughy, wouldn't it.

PRINT RECIPE

Hope you give this a try and let me know what you think. I'm off to listen to some Neil Diamond, "Hot August Night" I think.
Toodles.




2 comments:

  1. Hello! Just popped over from Lucy's blog. I love trying new granola recipes, thanks for posting. What beautiful quilts you make. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He he he it would be all gone by the time I leave if you only made a single batch. Going up onto my blog too...when I get the internet

    ReplyDelete